October 4, 2009

Why "The Scalpel"?

The name The Scalpel came from a post I made during some of my darkest days, one of the few posts I made in an attempt to save my own life. I said that we, the suffering, were not meant to be the scalpels, we were not meant to self medicate, but we were called to hold the hands of the others on the operating table, to give them something to squeeze when the going gets tough.

I was thinking about the name again today, and scalpels are used where? In medicine. Medicine is what? To help. But, what exactly is a scalpel? It's not a teddy bear you hold, or a lollipop, it's a knife. It hurts, but in the long run, after the initial incision and after healing, it helped us. The scalpel is like many medical instruments, they hurt before they help. Cough syrup tastes repulsive. Vaccinations, for instance, actually inject part of a sickness into our bodies. If that isn't the perfect image for what I'm trying to tell you, I don't know what is.

I am trying to help you heal, but we have to unpack everything first. If done correctly, it will hurt. But after surgery, everyone hurts. It's the healing process. I implore you to not give up when it starts to hurt the worst. The night is darkest before the dawn. Empty words? They seem it, but please, trust me. I would not do anything to hurt you, unless of course, the hurting that comes with life, that comes with being able to move out of the emergency room.

That is what I am for you. What I hope this little speck of internet is for you, an emergency room. A place to go when you are really hurt, when there is no where else to go. I am always here. 24/7. A doctor is always on call.

No comments:

Post a Comment