October 15, 2009

Wintertime.

Wintertime, for a lot of people, is when the earth dies. Trees lose their leaves, flowers die. Nobody wants to leave home. The universe is grey and desolate, it seems like it will never end but it won't begin either. Winter was always the time I got the most depressed. This will be my first winter since The Happening. The time when my life completely turned around. The time I came alive. June 21st.

I want my winters to be different. I want to see the color waiting just under the frozen surface of everyone and everything. I want to see the Christmas in every dawn, for what is winter without Christmas?

I want to see the red that flushes cheeks after playing in the snow. The way tomato soup stains your tongue. The flannel sheets in your warm bed, the refuge from the cool. The hot chocolate brown that feels like home. Curling up with a good book like a pigs in a blanket. The way the air tastes minty and all greens are spearmint leaves. These are the things that spring hope for the world. Things that remind us that no matter how desolate and grey the world seems, it's waiting to jump out at us at just the right time. Waiting. Watching. Tulips lay dormant in their bulbs.

This winter I will be full of hope for spring. As the leaves are falling like soldiers on the bloodiest battlefield, I will remind myself that they will bubble forth again. They are waiting, just like me, until the time when we all, every leaf that has ever fallen, meet our brethren in one spring dance. The colors will remind me that I can warm up this barren land.
We can shine brighter than sun reflecting off of the snow.
We can warm this planet with our love.
We are the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment